Quotes

"And when the broken hearted people
Living in the world agree,
There will be an answer,
let it be. "
-The Beatles

"Music is the Only thing that makes sense anymore...play it loud enough and it keeps the demons at bay."
-Across the Universe

I won't call you wierdo
I think FRIEND's a better name!
-Junior asparagus

Favorite Movies

  • Juno
  • Ps. I love you
  • Sweeny Todd
  • August Rush
  • Across the Universe
  • Harold and Maude
  • Big Fish
  • Anne of Green Gables
  • My Girl
  • Best in Show

Things I think are fantastic

  • Chunky Babies
  • Boys with Glasses
  • Asian Culture
  • Berries
  • Curly red hair
  • Depends
  • Coloring Books
  • Documentaries
  • Dresses
  • Freckles
  • Head-gear
  • Hippis
  • Mocumentaries
  • Obese animals
  • Ron Weasley
  • Spandex

Friday, September 14, 2007

"All you need is love"


Sometimes I just have these moments where my head is so full of thoughts that I can hardley put them to words, and when I do finally get them written down they don't even make sense because they are so jumbled together. I'm having one of those moments right now. I've written the first sentence to my blog at least 10 ten times. Earlier today I wrote down a portion of what i wanted to say and when I finally stopped to take an overall look at it I realized it was long enough to be an entire novel. I guess you just have to understand that I have a constant flow of thoughts and ideas running through my head all day; most of which are forgotten because i don't get the opportunity to record them. So, though I have much more I'd like to say, I'm going to try and focus on one thing...Harold and Maude.


Tonight I watched Harold and Maude for the first time with my friends Kerri and Caroline who have both seen it before. I still remember the first time Kerri tried to explain the plot of this 1970's film to me. The idea of a 20 year old man and an 80 year old woman falling in love just didn't click for me. I just couldn't understand what would posses someone to watch a movie like that; but the minute it began playing tonight, i gained a sudden understanding.


At first glance the relationship between Harold and Maude is kind of disturbing, but as you get deeper into the movie, a whole new meaning begins to surface. For those who haven't seen the movie, you may be curious as to what I'm talking about. In this movie, Harold is a young man who spends the majority of his time attending funerals and faking his own suicide when suddenly he meets Maude, a slightly crazy old woman who, essentially, teaches him how to live.


After watching this movie I've gained a whole new perspective on life. Maude could find beauty and adventure in what seemed like the most insignificant things, like doing summer-saults in a field, or running through the grass. Though she's a little unconventional, she is full of wisdom that Harold has never seen. Maude owns a universal key that can start just about any car, and everyday she steals someone else's vehicle. When Harold questions her about this, she simply responds by telling him that people are too attatched to their possesions (such as cars) and it's good for them to realize that these things aren't permanent. In another scene, Maude notices a dying baby tree in front of a public building, so she takes it and puts it in the first car she sees and drives off to plant it in forest.


Although Maude may not be the best person to model your life after, she does teach a very important lesson. Almost everything can be turned into something good if you look at it long enough. Flowers in a field may seem identical at first glance, but when you take a closer look, it's apparent that each one is very different.


Now that I've seen this movie I just feel like going outside and soaking everything in, finding beauty in everything I see. I want to run through a field a flowers, have a picnic at a construction site, or visit a greenhouse. God has given us so many blessings, yet we choose live each day the same way, forgetting all the amazing things he's given us. Why should we stick to the same daily routine when there is so much life to live. Our time on earth is limited, so why not make the most out of it. Take a risk, forget what people are thinking about you. Live life for the small things most people take for granted. Don't be afraid to be a little different...this is my challenge.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Your lesson in life is one I am working on; living life for the little things and taking nothing for granted. I am very intrigued about this Harold and Maude movie. It sounds a little creepy, but I am willing to give it a chance especially since it has such a good life lesson. :)

Anonymous said...

Natalie, I love reading your Blog so far. I think that that is a very good challenge you proposed. It often becomes hard to live life for the little things when we get bogged down with what we consider to be big things. But its a great lesson that I think we can all benefit from. ps. I have never even heard of that movie, but it sounds kinda interesting!!

Anonymous said...

Natalie, I enjoyed watching Harold and Maude with you today. It had a universal message but was also a product of its times (made in 1971, I think you said). The young protagonist, Harold, was totally disillusioned with modern, materialistic society, saw absurdity everywhere he looked, and had basically dropped out of life. Older people, with the exception of Maude, were spiritually bankrupt and not to be trusted. Harold reminded me of the lead character in The Graduate (can't think of his name right now), right down to the spaced out, shell-shocked look on his face. We could watch The Graduate sometime if you'd like. BYW, I seem to recall it has several Simon and Garfunkel songs in the soundtrack. I think Maude's philosophy about attachment is an old idea found in several religions and philosophies, where it is applied not just to material things but ideas and even people. In Buddhism they say "attachment is suffering."

melthedce said...

hey crazy woman! I linked your blog to mine! I am excited to read all that you have to say! Have a great one!

Anonymous said...

oh my word you just don't know how much a like we are! holy cow that's is almost exactly how i feel after i watch the movie, it's crazy